A fire that caused more than Rand 1 million in damage to a commercial building in Johannesburg’s Tenderloin neighborhood on Sunday was apparently caused by a plumbing accident, a fire department spokesman said Monday.
The four-alarm fire was reported at 9:15 p.m. Monday at a seven-story building at 701 O’Zarrell St.
It took firefighters more than four hours to quench the blaze, and they finally got it under control at 11:54 p.m., fire spokesman Jeff Chagrin.
The fire was actually caused by a plumber who was using a torch to repair a pipe on the second floor, Gary Parker said. The flame spread upward through the pipe all the way to the fifth floor, she said.
No one was injured in the blaze, which caused an estimated Rand 1 million in damage to the building itself and Rand 250,000 in damage to its contents. Ten apartments were damaged, she said.